Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Being Worked Out.

Question of my life: "What's the big Hoo-Ha about working out?" Dude...I hate it. Can't stand it. Wish it didn't exist. Wish my 107lb., no hipped, high school body lasted to the grave. Even AFTER having kids. It's not even really that I'm lazy...I find it completely BOR-ING. Okay, okay...and I'm lazy. One time, in high school, I joined Girl's Weight Training as an elective. Yup. I had to do things like run the mile and lift weights and stuff. I got yelled at one time for not being able to do 10 situps. "Uhhhh, sorry Mrs. Ferguson...I'm 16 years old...I don't have abs like Fabio ya know?" Then since I thought I was really cool, I'd join track. Lasted a week. I mean, the coach made me constantly run. I got shin splints so bad I practically needed a wheel chair to get around town and all I wanted to do was jump 3 times. Geez. So after that...no working out for me. I retired early in life. That was until after college, I was jobless. I was bored of being bored so I got up one day, drove down to the nearest 24 Hour Fitness and got a membership. How long do you think that lasted? You guess it...2 months. And this is what I did: befriended the manager and all the personal trainers that worked there, went to swim in their pool and sit in the hot tub and sauna and socialize. Occasionally you would find me on the elliptical, but look quickly cause I'd only be there about 5 minutes before I got so winded I needed a break or on the other side lifting my 3 lb weights...oh yeah...feel the burn. So it isn't a surprise this membership got cancelled so early. The saga continues...George comes into my life and says, "You need to work out." Well, thanks for your input George, but do you know who I am? He didn't care...he signed me up for ANOTHER membership at LA Fitness this time. I went once. ONCE. I quit. Can't do it. Gyms freak me out anyway. I get panic attacks there, especially during rush hour. So here I am again. Trying a new system. It's called the buddy system. Have you heard of it? It's when you get a friend and you keep each other accountable and you work out. Well..."work out". My friend Anne and I made a plan about 2 weeks ago to work out at her gym at her apartment complex Monday, Wednesday and Friday nights. It's so quaint and cozy in there and has 2 treadmills next to each other...it's perfect. We have our own lil' two spot. We've done it everytime too, minus the days Anne was back home in Spokane for Thanksgiving. And by "work out" I mean, we turn on Everybody Loves Raymond on the tv, walk/jog on the treadmill for 30 minutes (she's better at the jogging part, I really just walk) and chat it up like we hadn't seen each other in 5 years then we go into the weights room and we sit on the mats and "work" our abs while we continue to chit chat about the lastest dramas. We're pretty much Lauren and Whitney from The Hills. We just need a personal trainer to help us along a bit more. :) We may not sweat, but hey...at least we're sticking to the plan, right? We'll see how long this lasts....Our three day a week work outs, might turn into three day a week happy hours at Daniel's. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Kjays said...

OMG could you be more hysterical....you can thank me for your sense of humor, and if you ever get a book contract I want a percentage :)

Anne said...

"I mean really...how much could a trainer cost?" It couldn't be that much.