Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Being Attentive

What does it mean to be attentive? Any scholar can certainly give you Webster's definition:
at·ten·tive
Pronunciation:
\ə-ˈten-tiv\
Function:
adjective
Date:
14th century
1 : mindful , observant 2 : heedful of the comfort of others : solicitous 3 : offering attentions in or as if in the role of a suitor
— at·ten·tive·ly adverb
— at·ten·tive·ness noun
But what does it mean to YOU? How would you describe it as it pertains to your own life? I guess what sparked this blog is my husband. I've never really thought about this word until just recently. Or sometimes don't stop to think about the great qualities I have in my husband that other wives would DIE for. I'm pretty lucky...ask anyone out there :) I can even go way back into the time when George and I were still just dating, not even engaged yet I don't think and we were eating dinner with some friends at Buca Di Beppo. George was sitting to the side of me and I remember smacking my elbow against the table or chair and just casually saying "Ouch" (P.S. do you ever find yourself saying "ow" when it doesn't even hurt? It just comes out that way out of habit or something? yeah...that's me...alot.) Anyways, I don't think it really hurt cause I continued on my way...In the meantime, George had noticed and kindly rubbed my elbow a little bit (I'm still doing whatever not really paying attention) and I'm not sure if he asked if I were ok or not, BUT...some women at a table near ours, saw George do that and made a comment within their table that was overheard from a friend of mine that George was SO attentive and wished they had a guy like that...don't worry, I'm still not noticing any of this, until my friend spoke up about what the lady had said. At the time, I guess my thoughts were, "Uh, who's boyfriends wouldn't do that?" (You can already see that I'm taking his attentiveness for granted...) Skip to September '08...married...have a baby boy...as a new mom, I struggle alot. It's been easy at times and real rough too. The rough times...I call George up, explain my situation...boom. He's home from work, helping me out. Still not thinking anything of it until yesterday when I'm at a friends house. She starts talking about things and basically asks me how I do during the rough spots and I say to her, "Well, great...I have a ton of support from my husband, if I'm having real problems, he'll be the first to drop what he's doing and come home and help me out..." She's looks kinda amazed and I say, "Wouldn't your husband do that? He really is a great dad." She turns to me and says, "He's an awesome dad, but that's not just a dad thing...that is a really GREAT HUSBAND THING." So I guess that is when I stopped to actually think about it and realized: not every husband is so attentive as George. I'm very lucky. It was really confirmed today when I was sitting at home this morning, bundled on my couch in a sweatshirt and slippers, underneath a down blanket freezing to death! We have a gas fireplace that we turned the pilot out for the summer, but now that it's fall and it's colder, I really needed it turned back on so I could warm this place up. So I shoot him an email about a to-do list around the house and that was priority. Who comes walking through the front door not even a half hour later? My husband...saying..."I can't let my baby freeze..."
Dear George,
Thank you so much for being the attentive boyfriend and fiance that you were and for the attentive husband and father that you are. I ask myself, "Is it the flexibility of his job make him that way?" I'm sure it helps, but I'm 100% sure even if you were at any other job you would make it a point to still fulfill and support my needs. I realize this now and thank you for making my home a warm one this morning! My toes are still a little frosty though...can you just come home and sit on them for me? :)
So In Love With You,
Your Wife

2 comments:

Kjays said...

I am very thankful you have found the love of your life. It keeps me from worrying about you too much for the rest of my life!
My house is a comfortable 60 degrees, wearing shorts, tshirt and slippas :) Loving it !

The Baltera Family said...

I don't know where to comment about this, so I will do it here? Are you aware that your photo at the top is half black and white and half color? that is all.