Saturday, August 23, 2008

Pool Drama

Today, George was a sweetheart and watched Kingston all day, while I took a day and layed by the pool with Anne. So relaxing! Anywho, shortly after we were there, this lady arrived with 4 kids...eh...about an 8 year old, 6 year old, 4 year old and a baby. Clearly the baby can't swim, it's a baby...snuggled tight in it's stroller. However, the other 3 kids I had hope for. Now, I'm not too sure if I'm just really passionate about teaching kids how to swim, but I found it extremely odd that these kids didn't know how to swim...at all! The two oldest had to wear lifejackets and the 4 year old wasn't even allowed to go IN the pool! Seriously moms...teach your children how to swim, especially when they clearly love the water, jumping in, etc. I mean, George and I are not good swimmers and I'm already signing Kingston up for Waterbabies to get him going! The mom today didn't even care either...she sat in the shade at a table and was working the entire time and didn't pay attention to the kids until she was leaving and wanted the kids out of the pool. She was yelling at them the whole time to "Get out of the pool!" And when the 8 year old boy replied, "I'm trying..." as he's fervently doggy paddling in his lifejacket the mom's like trying to direct him out from the sidelines with things like..."Use your arms, use your arms!" and "Put your legs in front of you!"..."Why are you so afraid of the water?!?!" Then what really had Anne and I going was a little later on when the kids were back in the pool was the little girl having trouble and the boy yells at her: "Use your legs! It's a whole lot easier!" No...no...what's easier is putting your kids in swim lessons. I think you should be embarrassed if you have kids old enough to swim, they can't and then you yell at them that they aren't swimming fast enough out of the pool. Get a clue.

1 comments:

The Baltera Family said...

It's funny you should mention this because the same thing happens at my pool like every day. Seriously, like 10 year olds with water wings on, are we serious?