Sunday, June 14, 2009

Book Recommendation.

I certainly do not know in the name of Mary why I have never even talked about this book. (I know, some of you are probably super bummed it's not a photo of Mommywood, or Baby Proof...excellent reads by the way...the chickest, flickest books since the day they invented the printing press and so entertaining!) It has been such a blessing these past weeks, even days to watch, observe, enjoy, interact, talk, laugh, sing, pray and so much more {with my son}. It brought me back to this book that George and I bought at the beginning of my pregnancy with Kingston and just today, thought to myself, "Why in the world am I keeping this book to myself!" This is a wonderful prayer journal for expectant, new and 'already been down that road...several times in fact' mommies and dadddies! Lord, Bless My Child by William & Nancie Carmichael has opened up a whole new realm of connecting with Kingston and in our prayer lives. I feel like it is far to easy to just "pray" for our kids. As an expectant mom it was, "Lord, thank you so much for this blessing you have bestowed upon us. Please be with us throughout the pregnancy. Wrap your arms around our little one and keep him healthy and strong until his debut into this world. I pray you keep me healthy and strong as well. Amen." However, this book opens your heart, mind and soul up into praying not only for their health, but their CHARACTER. To pray for the character of God in my child. George and I have been lifting Kingston up to Christ since we found out I was pregnant and it wasn't just about his health. We prayed that Kingston would have a compassionate heart...that he would develop a love and passion for God at an early age...that he would learn humility, obediance and responsibility...that he would make good choices...that he would be creative, thoughtful, so full of joy and laughter...that he would have a heart for missions...that he would learn to share, be a good listener, stay pure and convicted in his own personal walk with Christ and so much much more. I almost cry just thinking about it! There are 52 "chapters"...one for every week out of the year! And you just keep reading it back through....over and over and over again. Never stop. Buy one to use for all your children or buy one for each of your children! Each week will bring you to your knees and bring you to God's word to reflect, pray, teach you some insight, how to incorporate each "little blessing" into your families everyday life and space to journal. This is truly one of the greatest parenting books you can get your hands on.

0 comments: