Friday, November 14, 2008

7x7 Prayer

Monday nights I do a bibly study with George and a close group of friends. Currently we are studying The Essentials of Effective Prayer, which has gotten me thinking ALOT about my prayer life and noticing it's a tad on the selfish end. Ok ok, maybe ALOT on the selfish side. Most importantly, I even find my prayers "for" Kingston more for me? Lord, please help Kingston sleep well tonight (so I can get some sleep) or Lord, please help Kingston eat well today (so that he's happier and I don't have to listen to him whine all day). I really do want those things for him, for him. It's so comforting to know my son is getting good sleep, eating healthy, learning new things, etc. I helps me know he's growing. But I want more for him. I want to pray for his character, for his faith, for his decisions, for his wife someday. I want Kingston to have an undivided heart and to be wise. I want him to be a Godly man someday who chases after the Lord. So this idea came to me from another mom just at the right time that I've been struggling with this. I want to be reminded during the day to pray for Kingston so I chose 7 events during the day that would remind me to do just that and have 7 prayers to correspond with those events.

1.)When He Wakes Up: "Let the morning bring Kingston word of your unfailing love, for he has put his trust in You. Show him the way he should go, for to you he lifts up his soul." (Adapted from Psalm 143:8)

2.) When He's Getting Dressed: "Therefore, as God's chosen child, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourself with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Lord, help him bear with others and forgive whatever grievances he has against others. Help him forgive as the Lord forgave him. And over all these virtues, help him put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." (Adapted from Colossians 3:12-14)

3.) While He's Eating: "Teach Kingston the secret of being content in any and every situation whether well-fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. Teach him that he can do everything through Him who gives him strength." (Adapted from Philippians 4:12-13)

4.) When We Leave The House: "Kingston, do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-His good, pleasing and perfect will." (Adapted from Romans 12:2)

5.) While He Takes A Bath: Lord, give Kingston clean hands and a pure heart, and let him not lift his soul to an idol or swear by what is false. Let him receive blessing from the Lord and vindication from God his Savior. Let him be part of the generation of those who seek him, who seek your face, O God of Jacob. (Adapted from Psalm 24:4-6)

6.) When He Is Going To Bed: "The Lord Your God is with you; he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, be will rejoice over you with singing." (Zephaniah 3:17)

7.) While He Is Sleeping: "I pray that Kingston will do everything without complaining or arguing, so that he may become blameless and pure, a child of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which he shines like a star in the universe as he holds out the word of life-in order that he may boast on the day of Christ that he did not run or labor for nothing." (Adapted from Philippians 2:14-16)

I hope that this can become a habit for me and urge other mom's too to give it a try. I think the most ultimate thing we can do as a parent for our kids is to pray for them daily!!!

1 comments:

Carly said...

This is beautiful, Danielle. Thanks for sharing it!