Monday, June 16, 2008

My Birth Story

It's true...it's a new blog. You haven't imagined it. I am actually skipping a nap just write a blog. I must be crazy. If by chance you are reading this and then all of a sudden it seems as though it ended really bluntly, it must be cause my son didn't get a full nap in and I had to quit what I started. Seriously, before baby, I had nothing to write about. After baby...I have stuff to say just no time to write it. Just in case you don't know, Kingston George Mekhail was FINALLY born June 4th, 2008 at 1:32am. He was 8lbs 4oz. and hella long. It was so weird, I didn't even actually go into labor. I had a regular doctor's appt. Tuesday June 3rd, George and I went in, as usual, told a sob story to the doc to get the baby out and he did my pelvic exam and asked if I was leaking fluid and I said absolutely not. Then he said, "Are you sure you haven't been leaking fluid?" and I said, "Yes." I mean, hello, I've been on baby watch for 10 months, I think I would notice. Anyways...then he whispers...as he's about the leave the room..."Welp, you are now, I think I just broke your water, Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone." And leaves. Oh yeah...he left. I stare at George, like huh? What is going on? George kinda shrugs. Doc comes back in (thank the lord, I had no idea what was happening) and says alrighty, head on over to labor and delivery, do not pass go or collect your one hundred dollars, the baby will be here today. Don't worry, I'm still confused. Cause even though he broke a bag of water, I didn't even feel it and I still haven't had a contraction. So I'm thinking...you want me to go to the hospital? But nothing is happening? But here I go...11:00am on Tuesday...to the hospital. Doc then reiterates for me NOT to tell the nurses about the water. He says if they found out that he "accidentally" did something they would be mad. And I put accidentally in quotes, cause we secretly think he did it on purpose. I mean, I don't blame the guy for not wanting me to come back another week to complain that there's no baby :) So skip to the hospital...I'm just layin in bed, nothing happening, BORED out of my mind. I think I checked my facebook several times, watched Jon and Kate plus 8 on tv, tried to walk, but that got old. My nurse asked me some questions and the infamous question of the leaking fluid came up and I seriously had to pretend it didn't just happen so I talk around it a little bit and played it off like I didn't recall. I think they thought that was odd, but what was I supposed to do? By the afternoon, I was feeling some "mild cramping". I have an inside joke with my husband about this and my nurse. Apparently they were contractions, but I kept calling them mild cramps so every time the nurse came in, she's like, "How are your mild cramps?" It was pretty funny...you may have had to have been there :) Anyways, by 6:00pm I was put on pitocin, cause let's face it, baby wasn't progressing. I was still just mildly cramping :) And oh lordy...I pretty much wanted to die. I truly admire those who do this natural. I BARELY got to 4 cm and was bawling for the epidural and made sure my nurse was johnny on it. By 9:30/10:00pm ohhhhh, the relief. It worked instantly and boy did I feel drugged up. I think I may have pushed the button one too many times. I was throwing up and felt miserable. I didn't know what was worse, the pain of labor or the effects of the epidural. Anyways, I jumped right up to 10cm by midnight though and began to push my little nugget out:) Hardest thing I ever had to do in life. I almost passed out on several pushing occasions, but managed. By the time Kingston's head was out, he was already crying. I wonder what it was like to see just a crying head? Then my doctor told me reach down and pull my baby out. Ha! Yeah right. I'm flying high as a kite, ready to pass out and you want me to what? I tried...I couldn't reach. So he helped me out a little bit and I reached down and pulled him up. Wow. The little man was so slithery and crying and I was still so out of it. I just gave birth to my son. There was a trillion nurses in the room, but the only thing I remember seeing and hearing is Kingston. Everything and everyone else was drowned out for the next several hours. Family and friends came into the room a couple hours later to congratulate us and see him and I don't even remember. I can't describe the moment and the feeling you have when you carry your child for so long and deliver him. I can't say what it's like to have a c-section, but looking back I enjoyed every moment of pushing my son out. It's so surreal. I felt so accomplished, I wouldn't have it any other way. Kingston is so beautiful and a miracle from God. I'm so proud of myself and feel so blessed to have experienced every moment.

1 comments:

allie said...

danielle,

this is allie (from HS). your story is so sweet and yet so comical. i feel like i lived it with you (sort of). i'm glad it wasn't 24 hours of pushing and pushing and pushing - i've heard the horror stories!

congrats to you and your hubby for your new bundle of joy - he's precious! the pic of your puppy and your baby is so cute!!