Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Talk About Feeling Out Of Place...

So...since I'm pretty much wife and mom of the year (what? you didn't hear?) I decide to try new dinner recipes every now and then so it doesn't feel like we are eating the same thing over and over again...which it does even when I throw in something new. Beside the point...so I decide to make some sort of peanut chicken dish (turned out amazing by the way). But of course, there's like 6 ingredients I've never heard of and have to travel across the world to find. Lucky for me, I live in America. We pretty much have everything here. So I make what I thought would be a short trip to THE ONE...AND ONLY...Uwajimaya!

I know right? What the heck? I've driven by it...I've heard of it...I know of a friend who shops here often...but me? Go here? *PICTURE* Young girl, blonde hair, blue eyes, my pink notepad with my shopping list on it with my Kate Spade wristlet and holding my pink blackberry phone...and if you know me at all? I'm a mac and cheese kinda gal, always fine right where I am, scared to go into unknown places, sometimes get lost in Safeway? But here I am, standing in the middle of a Japanese market...all I see are things written in a different language...I'm walking so slow so I make sure I don't pass what I need...in the meantime, being trampled on by who I'm assuming "the regulars" who stare me down cause apparently I'm standing in their way and clearly look lost and out of place (I was literally mauled by a chick who was really passionately after some....thing? I don't even know what it was...but she really bum rushed me and shoved like 10 of whatever it was into a plastic bag as fast as Lightning McQueen...sheesh). After several minutes...I call George. "Scuse me? George? I need you..." George claims he couldn't help me. He would claim that. Although, he did offer to speak to one of the Asian workers at the store for me...yeah that's right. He wanted me to hand my phone off to a worker so he could ask them where I could find my ingredients. Like I'm not embarrassed enough. So I say I just gotta go and spent the rest of the time going UP and DOWN the aisles like 10 times until I thought I had everything. Then I came across these:

Yup...chicken feet. PEACE OUT! But then, I was so scared to go to the check out counter. THEN I remembered, "Oh yeah...I'm still in Bellevue, WA...I'm ok...they'll take the American dollar."

1 comments:

Cynthia said...

LOL that is Katie's favorite place to go. I kid you not, we have one in Beaverton, and we use to go to the Kirkland. You would think she could speak the language by now!